Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stephie's birthday

Today is our younger daughter's birthday (I won't say how old). Stephanie entered the world in charge of life. From day one, it seems, she knew what she wanted and she went after it. Stymied along the way sometimes, she never was stopped. She just found another route. Sometimes at odds with us, sometimes at odds with God, sometimes at odds with herself. But finally at peace with life and God and us and herself. She always said she would have a handsome, strong husband, two children (a boy and a girl), a two-story house and a dog. She has all of that. I knew she would, just didn't know how soon it would all come to pass. But it came sooner than later, and now she has the time to enjoy it for many years. The family is involved in church and in life in general. God is blessing them abundantly, and they are sure to acknowledge His hand on their lives. I am thankful for that.

After she grew up and moved away, she would often call me and ask my advice about some decision she was facing. I would always answer, "Well, Stephanie, just pray about it. God will show you what to do." (She would and He always did.) But she said to me on one occasion, "You make me so mad. When I was growing up, I didn't want your advice and you gave it to me. Now I want your advice and you won't give it to me." But my greatest advice to her (and anyone) is to pray about it. God is always faithful to work it all out just right.

Here is a collage that her mother, Judy, made for her today. (Click on the picture for a bigger view.) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEPHANIE. My favorite red-headed daughter.


No comments: